Worst Case Scenario

Well, the unthinkable happened, and I had to cancel the Marketplace for today, June 20th.  It was a heart breaking decision, one that had to be made early on the information available. I awoke at 5:00 am, almost afraid to check the weather.  We had lost 6 vendors in the past week, 3 in the last 24 hours.  While we still had a great group of outstanding vendors ready to brave the elements, I had to make an early decision.  Several people were driving long distances, and needed to leave home by 7:30 am.  At that time, we were getting heavy downpours in Marietta, and my hired crew of tent setter-uppers were sitting in their cars.  The radar was showing several periods of severe weather, including lightning and heavy downpours, starting at 11:00 am.  Now I’m sitting at my computer, and the forecast has been changed for the hundredth time, with the severe storms starting later today.  But hindsight is 20/20, and at 7:30 this morning I had to choose.rain_drops_over_umbrella-t2

I had 2 choices— 1) Carry on, set up in the rain, and hope that the customers would come.   Many vendors have sensitive products–paper goods, glass, original paintings, clocks, etc.  Not only would the inventory be at risk, but in the case of lightning even our safety.  Should a sudden thunderstorm blow in, we would have a hard time breaking down safely and without damage.  In addition, people using the forecast to guide their decision to visit the Marketplace would see a forecast that has been changing by the 1/2 hour.  Not too many are willing to shop at an outdoor market in bad weather.

2) Cancel, and risk losing credibility and disappointing many people.  I decided that it would be better to shoulder the responsibility, take the fall and save the vendors from an unpleasant experience.  Although some were excitedly preparing for their first event and were understandably disappointed, others were relieved that they wouldn’t have to risk inventory and drive long distances to set up in the rain.

I apologize if you are a vendor who hoped to have a profitable day and were excited to show your products to a new audience.  I apologize if you are a potential visitor who was looking forward to a unique experience and cool items.  This is the most difficult part of the business, trying to read the crystal ball, make assumptions, and make decisions that impact others.

Thank you for your understanding and support—we will be back in July, bigger and better!  Stay tuned!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Worst Case Scenario

  1. No one can fault you. I am the VP with the Multicultural Festival. Our event is so large and practically impossible to cancel. With acts traveling the world we have no choice to hope for the best. Rescheduling is not possible. The sky opened up sometime after 2. And it’s stayed bad since. We are again hoping beyond hope that tomorrow will be better. We are heart broken as well. Our event has paid dearly. Mother Nature has not been very kind to us lately. I plan to come to the marketplace in July! Tough call but the right one!

    • I’ve found the most stressful part of planning these events is the one thing I can’t control–the weather. I can only imagine the effect on a large event like the Multicultural Festival. I was following the MF on facebook, and thank goodness you have the pavilion but I know the attendance was affected. Saying a prayer for the sun to shine on you today!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s